Teens & Young People Volunteer
About this role
Being in hospital can be scary for children and young people. Not only are they ill, they are often separated from their friends and family and familiar surroundings and daily routine. You will help our patients to relax, have fun and stave off boredom whilst they are waiting for an appointment or being cared for on a ward.
You will work in partnership with the Young People’s Service to engage specifically with patients aged 12-16 through play, entertainment and craft activities – or simply keeping them company. This can be on the ward or in the hospital’s Teen Zone on the third floor. We look for friendly, welcome and energetic people who are creative and imaginative and love spending time with young people.
To be accepted for this role, you must:
• Be aged over 18
• Pass a PVG check and occupational health screening
• Supply two satisfactory references
NB - Gel nails and nail varnish cannot be worn if you are accepted for this ward based volunteer role. This is due to infection control regulations.
• Confidence and being pro-active in interacting with young people (12-16)
• Able to relate to people in a friendly and calm manner
• Ability to empathise and to maintain complete confidentiality
• Adaptable, flexible and willing to learn
• Tactful and diplomatic, especially in stressful or emotional situations
• Creative, confident and enthusiastic
• Polite, courteous and reliable
• Volunteering experience
• Experience of working in a healthcare environment and/or with children and young people
• Recognition of the importance of boundaries and confidentiality
• Ability to understand when assistance is required or distance is preferred
• A unique and rewarding volunteer role
• Full training and hospital orientation
• Great experience for your CV
We ask you to commit to a minimum of one three hour shift per week (Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday morning or afternoon or Tuesday afternoon or early evening ) for a minimum of 12 months.