Glasgow Children's Hospital Charity is proud to fund a dedicated bereavement service in partnership with NHSGGC and Child Bereavement UK to provide vital support for parents and siblings facing or following the death of their baby or child.
For parents, losing a child is simply unimaginable. Sadly, it can become a reality for some of our families at the hospital, and it is crucial that structured support is available for them at such a difficult time.
At Glasgow Children’s Hospital Charity we are privileged to have the support of many families who have lost a child. Through our work with them it became clear that there was an undeniable need for this service.
We’re proud to be partnering with Child Bereavement UK and NHSGGC for this vital project, which will help parents, siblings and families to begin rebuilding their lives after the devastation of child bereavement.
The project, now in operation at the hospital and at a dedicated site in Maryhill, will be delivered by Child Bereavement UK.
Free support is now available for families being cared for by NHSGGC who are experiencing:
- A still birth
- The death of a baby
- The death of a child (up to 18 years)
- A situation where a baby or child is not expected to live
Support services for parents and siblings include:
- Face-to-face support sessions for individuals, couples, siblings and families.
- Support groups, to enable parents, families and siblings to meet others.
- Booked telephone support sessions for parents unable to access face-to-face support.
- Liaison with, and support of, other organisations as appropriate, such as schools.
Support sessions can be held at The Royal Hospital for Children or at Child Bereavement UK’s dedicated centre in Maryhill, North Glasgow.
Bereavement support for NHSGGC professionals are also available:
- ‘Drop in’ support and information sessions.
- Monthly on-site bereavement awareness sessions for staff groups.
- Access to study days on a range of bereavement-related subjects.
- Staff consultation and confidential listening.
- Team discussions and debriefs.
To speak to a member of the hospital's Bereavement Service, please contact:
Tel: 0141 370 47 47
Bereavement Service Team: Gayle Taylor, Kristin O’Neill (Team Lead), Anne-Frances Mason and Pauline Erskine.